Top Stories

Andrew McCabe, a former official, will not be charged with a lying case

Washington – Andrew J. Maccabi, the former MP F. In me. Which. The defense team said on Friday that Trump’s director and frequent target will not face charges in investigating whether he lied to investigators about the media leak.

The Washington prosecutors’ decision ends a case that left Mr. Maccabi in legal trouble for nearly two years. There also appears to be a sign that Attorney General William B. Barr wants to show that the Ministry of Justice is independent of Mr. Trump: The notification came a day after Mr. Bar publicly challenged the president to stop attacking law enforcement officials on Twitter and said criticism made his job more difficult.

Lawyers said Michael R. Bromwich and David Schertler in a statement that the prosecutors informed Mr. Maccabi’s lawyer of their decision by phone on Friday morning.

“We said at the beginning of the criminal investigation, nearly two years ago, that if the facts and the law determine the outcome, no charges will be brought,” they said. “We are glad that Andrew McCabe and his family can continue their lives without hanging this cloud over them.”

The President’s relentless criticism of the Ministry of Justice may complicate the prosecution of Mr. Maccabi. His supporters viewed the investigation as politically motivated and inextricably polluted for Mr. Trump’s relentless attacks.

Mr. Trump’s anger will likely infuriate Mr. Trump, who has long been believed to be unlawfully targeted by Mr. McCabe and other former senior FF officials. Officials who opened an investigation in 2016 about whether his campaign was plotting the meddling process in Russian elections.

Mr. Trump has More recently, the Justice Department and prosecutors have attacked because of their demand for a harsh prison sentence against Roger Stone Jr., a long-time friend and former chancellor.

The investigation into Mr. Maccabi resulted from the findings of the Inspector General of the Ministry of Justice, Michael E. Horowitz. Mr. McCabe was wrong in 2018 to mislead investigators when asked about him The disclosure of information in 2016 to the Wall Street Journal reporter About the Clinton Foundation investigation.

Mr. Horowitz transmitted his findings to the Washington Public Prosecution office, which investigated Mr. McCabe, and presented the evidence to a grand jury.

Mr. Maccabi’s lawyers vehemently denied that he had deliberately lied to Mr. Horowitz’s investigators. In an attempt to persuade law enforcement officials that they have no case, In August, Mr. McCabe’s lawyers met with the Deputy Prosecutor, Jeffrey A. Rosen, the former US District Attorney for the District of Columbia, Jesse K. Liu, which prosecutors considered the case.

In September, the grand jury was called in after months without meeting, but left the court without revealing any signs of an impending indictment. The next day, Ministry of Justice officials told Mr. Maccabi’s lawyer that they had rejected the latest appeal, not to charge him.

Hints of weakness appeared. One of the prosecutors assigned to the case recently left, an unusual move very close to a possible indictment. Another left for a private law firm and expressed reservations about how to handle the case.

A key witness testified that Mr. Maccabi was not motivated to lie because he was authorized as Deputy Director of F. In me. Ay to speak to the media, so he did not have to hide any discussions with journalists. Another important Witness He did not immediately remember how the leak was revealed. Both were crucial in any trial.

In addition, people charged with lying on F.B.I. They are usually charged with the crime during a criminal investigation, not an administrative investigation. For example, Mr. Horowitz Selected last year A senior Justice Department official committed violations by displaying pornography on his computers and then providing false data to investigators, but the prosecution refused to press charges.

Mr. McCabe’s lawyers presented the case to Mr. Rosen that other former officials had not been prosecuted after they had been caught lying to the inspector general’s investigators.

Mr. McCabe was a constant frustration of Mr. Trump, who repeatedly attacked the wife of Jill McCabe, because of her 2015 failed campaign for the Virginia Senate, which received hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations from a long-running political committee run by Clinton’s ally.

Mr. Trump seized her campaign as evidence that Mr. Maccabi wanted to get him off while protecting Hillary Clinton, who did the. In me. It has investigated their use of a private email server.

When President James P. Coomy sacked as F.B.I. The director of 2017, he said, was partial because of his decision to allow Mr. McCabe to participate in the Clinton investigation, according to excerpts from a draft of a letter from the president to Mr. Comey read in the New York Times.

“A few events represented a deeper breach of public confidence than your decision to allow Clinton’s email investigation to be investigated by Representative F.P. Trump Trump Andrew McCabe, whose wife, Jill McCabe, received about $ 700,000 in campaign donations from a senior Clinton advisor. “Maccabi should not be allowed to work on this.”

Mr. Trump’s aides I interfered and Mr. Komy sent a more toned message to explain his dismissal.

However, there is little evidence to highlight the President’s view of Mr. Maccabi. Clinton’s investigation as deputy director of the office was overseen only after Mrs. Maccabi lost her race Wall Street Journal article About Mrs. Clinton late in the presidential campaign was more harmful to her than useful.

In the months following the Inspector General’s report, the President prompted the dismissal of Mr. Maccabi. “FBI. Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is racing around the clock to retire with full benefits,” Mr. Trump Tweeted In December 2017. “90 days to go? !!!”

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions rejected Mr. Maccabi hours before he was eligible for these benefits, a move that many considered a protector. It was also a potential conflict of interest because Mr. Maccabi opened an investigation into the sessions of the master after receiving a criminal referral from Congress suggesting that he had lied to lawmakers about his contacts with a Russian diplomat. The case was later closed.

Mr. Maccabi spent 21 years at the FBI, and began his career in New York with an investigation into Russian organized crime. When terrorists hit the Twin Towers in the September 11 attacks, Mr. Maccabi was deployed as a member of the Swat office team. He later supervised major international investigations of terrorism, and took over the administration of the National Security Section of the office and its field office in Washington. He was promoted to Deputy Director position in January 2016 after conducting an online investigation via Clinton.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close